Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Lasagna in a heat wave... I've lost my marbles.

It may be hot but the stinkin' heat didn't stop me from making lasagna this week. 
I was taking food to a house with a new baby in it and I decided to make an extra batch for my friends.  

My general philosophy for cooking (and baking too) is to just make more.
I like leftovers and I strongly dislike when there isn't enough food. 
You know, you have a party, all your friends show up, and you have nothing to feed them. 
It's my italian/jewish thing. 
(Confession: I'm neither Italian or Jewish)

So I turned my oven on to 375 and the fun began. 
One minor stop at the grocery store helped me pick up the ingredients I didn't have. 
Divided by steps, here's what you need: 

Ready to bake lasagna noodles- 1 box.

Ground Turkey meat- 1 pound. 
salt + pepper 
crushed Garlic
1/2 an onion
if you have non-onion eaters in the house, you can use onion flakes. 

Parsley- 2 tablespoons*
Fennel Seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Italian seasoning- 1 teaspoon + a sprinkle
Dried basil leaves- 1 1/2 teaspoons
Sugar- 1 tablespoon 
Salt- 1/2 tablespoon
Pepper- just a pinch
Tomato paste- 12 ounce can 
Tomato sauce- 13 ounce can
Crushed Tomatoes- 28 ounce can
Water- just a few tablespoons... or half a cup. 


Low fat Ricotta cheese- 16 ounces.
1 egg
Parsley- 2 tablespoons*

Part skim Mozzarella cheese.
(I used just over 2 cups and there are two cups in those bags of the shredded stuff)
Parmesan cheese

Step 1: brown the meat with sprinkling of salt and pepper, garlic, and onion. 

Step 2: Add the tomato paste + sauce, crushed tomato sauce, water, and all the seasonings. You can let it simmer, or not if you don't have the time. I rarely do. 

Step 3: mix the ricotta cheese, parsley, and egg. 

Step 4: Spray pan. Sometimes I like to use the throw away ones from the grocery store. Dishes are a pain. 

Step 5: spoon meat sauce into the bottom of the pan

Step 6: cover with noodles

Step 7: spoon 1/2 Ricotta mix onto noodles and spread out

Step 8: sprinkle mozzarella cheese

Step 9: spoon meat sauce

Step 10: sprinkle with parm

Step 11: repeat steps 6-10 + top with the rest of the mozzarella cheese. 

Step 12: bake it for about an hour. you can play the cover and uncover game with foil over the top for half + half. or you can leave it the whole time. Either way spray the foil with some PAM. The side that meets the lasagna. 

*I think you're smart enough to figure it out, but just in case...  2+2 = 4 all together*

Make this for your friends and you're sure to be popular.
 Love,
Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. It's true! This lasana will def make you popular... unless you're already popular like Elizabeth... either way... it's ridiculously good!

    ReplyDelete